- 5 - 7 lb. roasting chicken
- 40 whole, peeled garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- fresh rosemary sprigs (optional)
1. To prep the chicken, remove the giblets and liver, reserve them for another use or discard. Give the bird a good rinse under cool water and pat it dry with paper towels. Place half of the garlic inside the cavity of the bird and set the bird breast side up into the crock.
2. Rub the oil all over the bird. Sprinkle the thyme, salt and pepper onto the bird and massage it into the skin. Sprinkle the remaining garlic around the bird and if using add a few sprigs of fresh rosemary. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
3. Carefully lift the bird out of the crock and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving. The meat will be very tender and falling off of the bone. Do not discard the cooking juices. Strain away the solids and skim the fat. This can be used as an au jus sauce or saved for a future soup or rice.
If you are like me and not a huge fan of peeling garlic, keep an eye out for these prepped garlic cloves. They are a real time saver!
FMI on National Garlic Day, click here.