It is easy enough to buy BBQ sauce but I love making my own because I can make it just the way I like it with only the ingredients that I choose.
This particular sauce adapted from Frito-Lay is very suited to pork or chicken. Remember to brush BBQ sauce onto meat towards the end of cooking to prevent burning.
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup ketchup, such as Heinz
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/3 cup spicy brown mustard, such as Heinz
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp. Gluten-Free Tamari, such as San-J
- 1 tsp. hot sauce, such as Frank's Red Hot
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes, until thickened and reduced by about 1/3.
- Transfer to jars and refrigerate until needed (up to 1 week). This recipe is easy to double and extra BBQ sauce can be frozen.
Dairy Free Variation: Replace the butter with Earth Balance Buttery Spread