Moroccan Chicken with Potatoes and Carrots
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp. chicken bouillon (such as Better Than Bouillon®)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch cayenne pepper, more to taste
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 medium red potatoes, halved
- 3 carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup sliced salad olives, drained
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro or mint leaves
- 1/3 cup Greek-style yogurt (optional garnish)
- Stir together the water, oil, ginger, bouillon, garlic, cumin, turmeric, thyme, salt, pepper, coriander, cinnamon and cayenne pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of the mixture to the slow cooker crock. Add the chicken to the remaining spice mixture in the bowl and toss well to coat chicken with the seasonings.
- Layer the vegetables in the crock, starting with the potatoes on the bottom and ending with the onion. Sprinkle the raisins over the onions. Top the vegetables with the chicken, scraping any remaining seasonings onto the chicken. Sprinkle the olives over the chicken, and arrange the lemon slices over all. Do not stir.
- Cover and cook 8 hours on LOW (or 4 hours on HIGH). Using tongs, transfer the lemon slices to a small bowl. Using a fork, gently press the juice out of the lemons and add the juice back to the crock (discard the lemon slices).
- Using a slotted spoon, divide potatoes and chicken between plates. Give the sauce a good stir and divide it between the plates, ladling it over the chicken. Garnish each plate with cilantro or mint and a dollop of yogurt, if using.
Dairy Free Variation: Omit the yogurt.