- 8 cups peeled, chopped apples (about 3 pounds, we used McIntosh)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg or 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1. Stir together all ingredients in the slow cooker crock. Cover and cook 4 hours on HIGH.
2. Stir well. Use an immersion blender to process the apple butter until smooth. Alternatively, the apple butter can be processed in a blender or food processor (be careful, it’s very hot) and returned to the slow cooker crock.
3. Prop lid open with a wood spoon and cook another 2 hours on HIGH. Remove lid and allow apple butter to cool in the crock.
4. Transfer apple butter to containers and refrigerate up to 1 month (or can or freeze to extend the shelf life).
Cook’s Tip – Using an immersion blender, or stick blender, makes it easy to puree ingredients right in the cooking pot—no transferring hot food to a blender and back, risking messy (not to mention painfully hot) splatters. These handy little appliances are moderately priced, and often go on special sale around the holidays.