Fall has arrived. People are breaking out fleece jackets and trading in iced coffee for hot beverages to warm the body and soul. It is apple picking season and today is National Mulled Cider Day. We love using the slow cooker to make mulled cider, not only does it make the whole house smell divine, it is a tasty treat after raking leaves or freezing at a sporting event.
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg (freshly ground if possible)
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 cup. brown sugar or maple syrup (optional)
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 orange, washed and quartered
- cinnamon sticks for garnish (optional)
- bourbon, brandy or spiced rum (optional)
- Add the first 9 ingredients (cider through salt) to a slow cooker crock and whisk until blended. Add the orange quarters.
- Cover and cook for 2 - 3 hours on LOW (or 1 1/2 hours on HIGH).
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the oranges and stir well to combine all the spices.
- Serve with cinnamon sticks, if using.
- Bourbon, brandy or spiced rum can be stirred in for adults.
Any leftover cider can be refrigerated and warmed in the microwave.