My husband is a major broccoli fan, and has been requesting broccoli salad for a few weeks. Really, there is no excuse for how long it has taken me to get to it—it’s a fast recipe (especially if you purchase pre-cut broccoli). Be sure not to discard the stems and only use florets—that’s a waste of good vegetable nutrition (and money)! Just cut them thinly and add them to the bowl with the florets.
This recipe is just slightly modified from the one that Kim and I published in our first cookbook, The Everyday Low Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook.
- 1/2 cup bacon pieces (about 4 slices, cooked and chopped)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 medium sweet onion or red onion
- 3/4 cup light gluten-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Splenda sweetener or about 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch fresh broccoli, stems chopped, separated into small florets (about 4 cups pieces)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (toasted if you like)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for the broccoli; mix well.
- Add broccoli pieces and mix well to coat with the dressing.
- Refrigerate until serving time (the salad gets tastier with at least 3 hours in the refrigerator).