Slightly sweet, slightly spicy, and packed with colorful peas and peppers, this restaurant favorite is easy to make at home in your slow cooker. It doesn’t take that long, either, so plan on being home while it cooks and you’ll be enjoying this dish in no time!
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion (about half a small onion)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (gluten-free)
- 3 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 package fresh snow peas or sugar snap peas (4 ounces), cut in half on the diagonal
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups hot, cooked rice
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup salted cashews
- Stir together the first 10 ingredients (onion through pepper flakes) in the slow cooker crock. Cut the chicken thighs into 1-2-inch chunks and add them to the mixture in the crock. Stir to coat the chicken with the sauce. Cover and cook 3 hours on LOW.
- Add the snow peas and bell pepper to the chicken mixture. Stir well. Cover and cook another 30 minutes.
- To serve, divide rice between bowls. Divide the chicken mixture between portions, spooning it over the rice. Garnish each portion with chopped scallions and about 2 tablespoons of the cashews.