Slow cooked brisket is one of those win-win recipes because it is perfect for feeding a crowd or for planned leftovers.
- 1 onion, thinly sliced and divided
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup gluten-free tamari soy sauce (such as San-J®)
- 1/4 cup grated fresh ginger
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. quick cooking tapioca
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp. Chinese five spice powder
- 1 - 3 tsp. sriracha chili sauce (or regular hot sauce such as Frank’s®)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 (5 pound) beef brisket, trimmed of visible fat
- thinly sliced scallions and finely chopped cilantro (optional garnish)
- Sprinkle half of the onion into the slow cooker crock.
- Add the next 11 ingredients (ketchup through salt) to a large bowl and stir to combine.Depending on the shape and size of your slow cooker, you may have to cut the brisket in half so that it fits into the crock. Place the brisket into the bowl and coat it with the seasonings.
- Transfer the brisket to the crock. Sprinkle the remaining onions over the top of the brisket. Add any remaining tamari mixture to the crock as well.
- Cover and cook 8-10 hours on LOW (or 4-5 hours on HIGH).
- Transfer the brisket to a platter and cover with foil. Allow the brisket to rest for at least 10 minutes before cutting it into thin slices, against the grain.
- While the meat rests, give the onion mixture a good stir. Skim any visible fat from the surface and discard. Pour the cooking liquid and onion over the meat slices and serve. Garnish with scallions and cilantro if desired.
Ingredient Info: San-J Tamari sauce is one of our favorite gluten-free soy sauce condiments. Check out the San-J website for more information (www.san-j.com).