Homemade sweets don’t get much easier than these chocolate drop candies! No candy thermometer is needed and they take just a few ingredients. Using the slow-cooker for melting the chocolate makes these candies so easy and fool proof—perfect for cooking with kids.
Use your creativity and vary ingredients according to your taste or what you happen to have on hand! If you need to make the candies without nuts, just leave them out and increase the cereal portion. Also, I happen to like the combination of milk and dark chocolate, but you can certainly alter the chocolate combination according to your preferences.
As for different variations, I myself varied the ingredients for the two types of candies in the photos: in one I used dried apricots (chopped) and unsweetened shredded coconut, and in the other I simply increased the crispy cereal and omitted the nuts. Some other ideas:
- dried cranberries and slivered almonds
- raisins, peanuts and granola instead of crispy rice
- dried blueberries and chopped walnuts
No garnish is needed, but for the holidays I wanted to give them extra oomph. It only takes a few sprinkles to do the job, and again, use what you have on hand.
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup gluten-free crisped rice cereal
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Add milk chocolate and dark chocolate chips to the slow cooker crock. Cook 30-45 minutes on LOW, until chocolate is melted (stir with spoon to test, as the chips may not look melted, but in fact are). Stir to blend chocolates. Turn off slow cooker and unplug. Let chocolate sit in crock, undisturbed, for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Meanwhile, cover a large baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside.
- Combine cereal, cherries, and pecans in a small mixing bowl. When chocolate has cooled slightly, stir the cereal mixture into the chocolate until well combined. Let mixture cool another 5 minutes and then add the marshmallows (if you add them while chocolate is too hot, the marshmallows will melt). Stir until all ingredients are coated with chocolate.
- Drop mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls onto waxed-paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate 15-20 minutes, or until set. Store candies covered, at room temperature, for up to 3 days.