Love peanut butter? Need a quick, protein-packed snack? It doesn’t get much easier than this…well, unless you just eat the PB from a spoon.
I adapted the original recipe for these (from our cookbook, The Big Book of Low-Carb) to pack them with even more protein and make them even easier to throw together in a jiffy. You’re welcome 🙂
- 1 cup smooth or crunchy peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cups low-carb, gluten-free vanilla whey protein
- 1/3 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut (check that it's labeled gluten-free)
- In a medium mixing bowl, using a spoon or rubber spatula, mix together the peanut butter and the whey powder until well combined.
- Using clean hands and a 1-Tablespoon measuring spoon, scoop the mixture with the measuring spoon, making each ball about 1 generous tablespoonful. Roll each portion into a ball shape.
- Place coconut on a small plate. Roll each ball in the coconut. Place the finished balls in a container or on a plate; cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- Chocolate and peanut butter: Use low-carb, gluten-free chocolate-flavored whey instead of the vanilla. Instead of coconut, roll the balls in a combination of 1 Tbsp. chocolate whey mixed with 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder. Nutrition analysis (approximate): 135 calories, 11g protein, 9g fat, 3.5g carbs, 1g fiber.
- Peanut butter and cinnamon: Instead of the coconut, roll the ball in a combination of 1 Tbsp. of the vanilla whey mixed with 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon. Nutrition analysis (approximate): 135 calories, 11g protein, 9g fat, 3.5g carbs, 1g fiber.
These are gluten-free, but certainly not calorie-free. Luckily, they are very filling. Each PB Snax has approximately 140 calories, 11g protein, 9g fat, 3.5g carbs, 1g fiber.