- 1/2 cup canola oil (or melted butter, if you're ok with dairy)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (or 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups gluten-free oats (such as Bob's Red Mill)
- 2 cups crispy brown rice cereal (such as Erewhon)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 1 cup unsweetened dried coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons golden flax meal
- 1 cup chopped dates* (or other dried fruit if you prefer)
- Whisk together the oil/butter, brown sugar, honey, almond extract, salt, nutmeg and ginger in the slow cooker crock. Stir in the oats, rice cereal, almonds, coconut and flax. Stir well to coat with the brown sugar mixture. Cover and cook 1 hour on HIGH>
- Stir well and prop lid open with wooden spoon handle. Continue to cook on HIGH for an additional 1 1/2 - 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so. Continue to keep the lid vented during cooking. The granola is done with it becomes a toasted golden brown.
- Add the dates to the granola and stir well to combine. Transfer hot granola to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or foil. Allow granola to cool completely. Break up granola and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Note re dates: Sometimes dates are processed with flour. Be sure to check the package label. If you cannot find any chopped dates that are gluten free, you could purchase whole dates and chop them yourself, or substitute a different dried fruit like golden raisins or apricots.